Monday, September 22, 2014

Enjoying the Journey

This last weekend, while I was at a competition with my 7 year old mare; Santa Maria, I experienced one of those special moments, reminding me that "success isn't a destination, it's a journey". My strong "red head" mare was very successful at all the lower level classes, but moving her up into the next level of collection has taken a bit of work, and the coolest feeling ever is when all that hard work pays off :-) 
This was the first time Santa Maria went down the centreline and was able to become MORE in the ring rather than freeze up as the degree of difficultly increased. We placed fourth in the class (although red is the color for first in Canada it's the color for 4th here in Germany). But what I am most proud of is that in the victory gallop we were able to turn all of her tension into something positive and her normal tight trot became a powerful and elegant passage! My mother always calls my Santa Maria my 'ace in my sleeve' because she really believes that she will be a strong horse for the future so one of the first things I did was call mom to tell her I think she is right ;-)  

No comments:

Post a Comment