Sunday, August 17, 2014

That's The Way!

Once again, there is another big gap between my last entry and this one.... but never fear. I will eventually pull though ;-) ...This year has just felt a bit like the country song from Jo Dee Messina “That’s the Way” because sometimes you just gotta “Roll with the Punches” .In other words; this has been a very character building year. At the beginning of January I switched trainers and moved my horses to Jonny Hilberath’s barn to train full time. Switching trainers is always a difficult transition process because each trainer takes one completely apart and then puts you back together, this in itself would not have been so bad (especially because Jonny has challenged reach completely new heights in my riding ability) but what made this transition so difficult is that a couple weeks after I moved, I lost my top horse and best friend Orion. A tumor took his life without any warning at all. Although Orion will always live on in my heart, it has taken me a long time recover from this loss, but I promised myself that I would honour Orion’s memory and would keep on fighting. 

As I was pulling myself together, my next up and coming horse, Anited under went colic surgery; but I am SO UNBELIEVABLY happy to be able to report that Anited has bounced back in fabulous forum :-)  Anited’s recovery has taught me to be, simply thankful. Life truly is a present
Shortly after Anited’s recovery I experienced the loss of another very dear and close friend, as my grandfather passed away. Just like my Orion my grandfather, will also live on in my heart. The special friendship and strong influence my grandfather had on my life has helped forum the person who I am today. 

So just like the lyrics from Jo Dee Messina song... “you gotta bend when the wind blows, you live, you learn, you crash, you burn, it’s hit or miss and that’s the way it is  and ... one day you get what you want, but it’s not what you think, then you get what you need”. And at this point of time, exactly what I needed was a visit back home!!!  At the beginning of July my boyfriend, Lars and I flew to Canada, where we were able to attend two amazing weddings. One from my dear cousin and the second wedding was from my best friend. This trip home was just what my heart and soul needed and now I am back in Germany training away with a rejuvenated focus and determination! 

My little sister, Jade, also came back to Germany with us, and for the second month of her summer holidays Jade (who is a crazy obsessed Jumper) is working and riding at a jumper barn. Having Jade living with me has been a very special experience, because we have gotten to get to know each other on a whole new level; as sisters. All of the “older kids” in our family promised our mother a whole “kid free” month. So my brother Loisl is taking care of our littlest brother Rosemond, and they are currently also visiting us in Germany right now. So its been very lively here to say the least ;-) 
Speaking of lively, the World Equestrian Games are right around the corner! And in preparation for the games the whole Canadian Team was here at the Verden CDI last weekend. It was so inspirational for me to be able to cheer on our Canadians! Who did absolutely fabulous :-) I am also planning on driving to Aachen next weekend to visit the Canadian Team in their training camp. So..... Go Canada GO!!! 





No comments:

Post a Comment