Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Rest in peace my warrior

Orion 
April 30, 1996, January 19, 2014


It is extremely difficult to put this in writing, because it means that I have to accept that my Orion, my teammate, my star, my warrior has passed away. Orion was still in top forum right up to his last day and it is a shock to absolutely everyone how suddenly he has left us. On Saturday January 18th Orion showed symptoms of colic so I immediately brought him to the vet clinic and although we were first able to stabilize him with medication, the vet convinced me to leave him in the clinic over night, simply to monitor his condition. During the night of the 18th I sat with Orion in his stall and while he was munching away at his hay as I sat cross legged in front of him, I truly thought that I would be able to bring Orion back home with me the following day simply because he made such a healthy and sturdy impression. But during the night Orion suffered from another episode of colic and by Sunday, January 19th at 9 am the symptoms had gotten so bad that we proceeded with colic surgery. Before the surgery began I asked for one last moment with Orion, and when I looked him in the eye, Orion let me know that his time had come. Anyone who spends so much time with their four legged partner knows that over time a connection can develop so strong that words are not needed to communicate. And it was in this moment that I knew that I had to let my team mate, my anchor, go. As I closed my eyes and gave Orion one last kiss I had only one thought that I wanted to share with him, and that is “Thank You”. Thank You Orion, for being the best teammate anyone could ask for, thank you, for opening up a world of possibilities for me and most of all thank you for showing me that dreams really can come true. 

As the surgery proceed I still hoped for the best, but the vet soon discovered that the colic was caused by a tumor the size of two fists that had cut off the circulation of his intestines and when this happens the intestines start digesting themselves and Orion was past the point of saving. In less than 24 hours my Orion, who is famous for his zest and fight for life took his last breathe and has moved on to greener pastures, but his spirt will live on forever in my heart. 

Every time I look up at the stars at night my eyes immediately search for the star consultation “Orion" which is distinguished by "Orion’s Belt”  and I know that when I look up there I will find my very own warrior who will forever rest in peace amongst the stars. 


38 comments:

  1. Godspeed Orion. I'm so very sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so very sorry for your loss. He was a wonderful horse who will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so sad when we lose our friend, and our partner. So sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, I know how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry. Godspeed beautiful Orion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very Very Sorry for your loss Pia.... You are in my thoughts and prayers. If you need anything do not hesitate to call. Take care :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely tribute to your warrior. Godspeed, Orion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pia and Orion: I am so very sorry to hear of this sudden loss.. RIP Orion, .

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My heartfelt condolences Pia. Orion was a true warrior and you can take everything he taught you with you into the future. Hugs - Gina

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry Pia. You made such a wonderful team together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful experience to share with an animal so kind, big, and beautiful..... growing up together. Heartbreaking, yet grateful. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Many thoughts sent your way, Pia. You have wrote a beautiful tribute to Orion and all that he means to you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Heartbreaking........ so sorry, any of us that have gone that path before know it's a loss that will be felt for a very long time. You will find a new partner and his memory will live on forever.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have lost two horses to similar abdominal tumours. There are no symptoms until it reaches the point of crisis, so it's sudden and impossible to prepare for, and heartbreaking. Know that you did right for him and that our thoughts are all with you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pia thankbyou fornsharing, one day you will see him again and he will always take care of you he will always be there in spirit so you can feel him

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sorry for your loss. He is gone much too soon.RIP

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Pia, I'm so sorry to hear about Orion. My heart is heavy for you. You are in my thoughts. Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pia, I am beyond sorry for your loss of your dear friend Orion. I will always remember seeing you both in your element at Aachen last year. Hugs and best wishes - Gill

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't know you but I am so sorry for the loss of your friend they are family and you love them like family ,I am sure he knew how much you loved him and you know how much he loved you

    ReplyDelete
  20. Pia, I am so sorry to hear about Orion leaving. He was such an awesome horse. I so totally enjoyed watching him in England! what a great partnership you and Orion had together! we will all hug our horses a little tighter tonight and tell them the story about your warrior! RIP Orion from Diane and Devon L

    ReplyDelete
  21. Pia, we are so sorry to hear about this. Know all your friends back home are sending you support.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Pia, I am so sorry to hear of your beautiful horse passing. You truly had a wonderful partnership. He had a big heart and gave things his all in life.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Orion will be in your heart ♥ forever....so sorry about your lost....my sincere condoleances stay strong

    ReplyDelete
  24. Pia, its hard to find the words to express how sorry I am. Thinking of you at this difficult time. Still have great memories of you from the beginning years. Hope to see you on the Canadian Team again some day soon. Elizabeth Banks (Amy and Sarah McIlwham's mom)......a blast from your past :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. So sorry for your heartbreaking loss. I gazed at Orion's belt last night, it was shining brightly......

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh Pia; so sorry for your loss. I know that he has taken a piece of your heart with him. Although he has left you now, you will always have the experiences, the memories and the lessons you learned with him. My condolences to you and your family.... Brenda Thompson

    ReplyDelete
  27. So sorry for your lose. Hope you´ll find peace in getting a chance to say goodbye before he went in to surgery. May your best friend be the brightest star in Orions belt forever.

    ReplyDelete
  28. So sorry for your loss. I can imagine what you are going through and I hope you find strength in your memories and the courageous and loving decisions you had to make around his care.

    ReplyDelete
  29. My sincerest thoughts are with you! I can only imagine the pain and loss but know that there are many people holding you in our thoughts and prayers. Orion trusted you and what a blessing to know what he wanted. Peace be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  30. As hard as it is to loose such a friend always remember her is still carrying you.

    ReplyDelete
  31. he shall become an angel for you...always in your life..watching over you..knowing the love and respect you gave him...and breathing through you to your soul...

    ReplyDelete
  32. SO sorry for your loss! What a shock!

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a heartbreak! So sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  34. It is indeed heartbreaking to loose an equine partner. I am so very sorry and I know just how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I am very sorry to hear of the loss of your dear horse Orion. Your tribute was very moving.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh no! So sorry to hear about Orion, Pia. It was such fun meeting you at our EC Level 1 coaching exam, I've enjoyed watching your adventures ever since. Such a sad story, hope you're doing ok.
    Sending hugs from BC,
    Carla Corbett

    ReplyDelete
  37. Pia, I am so so sorry to hear of what happened to Orion. It was so wonderful to hear of how you two formed a great partnership and were doing so well together. I too, understand what it is like to lose a best friend and partner. My deepest sympathies go to you. More hugs from BC. Teresa McKinley

    ReplyDelete